Share

Glenn P. Haney

B.S. Forestry, 1951

Glenn P. Haney completed a B.S. in Forestry at Penn State in 1951, a master’s degree in Forestry at North Carolina State University in 1956, and post-graduate work in public administration at the University of Virginia in 1966.

As an undergraduate, Haney was active in the Penn State Forestry Society, the Wesley Foundation student group, and a member of Alpha Zeta, Xi Sigma Pi, and Gamma Sigma Delta.

He was employed by the U.S. Forest Service, Department of Agriculture for 29 years, serving as a research forester, deputy regional forester, and associate deputy chief for administration. In 1982 he transferred to the staff of the Secretary, U.S. Department of Agriculture, where he served as director of the Office of Information Resources Management for eight years. One of his professional accomplishments was long-range planning for the use of information systems. Under his leadership, USDA successfully implemented automated systems in field offices, putting desktop computers in the hands of those who serve the public. Haney received both the Secretary’s Distinguished Service Award and the Presidential Rank of Meritorious Service.

After retirement from USDA in 1990, Haney and his wife Eleanor, both Pennsylvania natives, moved to the State College area (Boalsburg, PA) and became involved in a number of volunteer activities at the university and in the community.

Haney was instrumental in reviving the Penn State-Mont Alto Forestry Alumni Society and restructuring it as a recognized affiliate program group within the College of Ag Alumni Society (CAAS) and the Penn State Alumni Association. Efforts began in 1992 under Haney’s leadership, and with the support of School of Forest Resources director Al Sullivan and an ad hoc alumni committee, the School of Forest Resources Alumni Group was officially established in 1993. Haney served as president of the group from 1993 to 1997, and as an associate director on the CAAS board that same period, representing the Forest Resources Alumni Group.

In 1995, as alumni group president, Haney worked with Dr. Kim Steiner in the School of Forest Resources and with Penn State’s Office of Physical Plant on the Memorial Tree Planting Project. The project involved relocating a memorial marker from the front of Wagner Building to the intersection of Curtin and Porter roads where two oaks are all that remain of the original 125 trees that were planted 1953-57 as a memorial to Penn State forestry students who lost their lives in World War I and World War II. Haney also initiated an effort to identify School of Forest Resources alumni who died in the Korean War and the Vietnam conflict.

Haney was an elected member of the Penn State Alumni Council, serving a three-year term that began in 1995. In 1997 he was elected as a director on the CAAS board for a three-year term.

Haney ran twice for a position on the Penn State Board of Trustees. Though unsuccessful both times, he earned 7,700 votes in 1992 and more than 10,000 votes in 1993, indicating that his support extended well beyond votes from School of Forest Resources alumni.

In 2002, Haney was honored as a charter member of the College of Agricultural Sciences Armsby Honor Society. In 2003, he was honored as a Mont Alto Centennial Fellow.

Haney has served as president of the corporation for the Alpha Zeta Fraternity at Penn State. He served the State College Area Meals on Wheels as a volunteer for 15 years, including a term as president. He has also been active in the State College Presbyterian Church. During 2006, Haney served as moderator of the Huntingdon Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church USA, after having been active in Presbytery work for the previous 12 years.

Haney is a life member of the Penn State Alumni Association, and a member of the Nittany Lion Club and the State College Kiwanis Club.

April 2009