Share

Framed Print of Forestry Buildings at Penn State University Park

This framed print has images of Hemlock Hall, the Forest Resources Building, and Ferguson Building
Click on image to enlarge

Click on image to enlarge

$55.00 plus $15.00 shipping  (International addresses will be charged additional postage)

Actual size  22.5" x 12.5"

To order, call 814-865-7541 or e-mail:  ForestResources@psu.edu

On the left is Hemlock Hall, the two-story frame building erected in 1907 to house the then new department. That building soon became known as “Fergie’s Woodshed,” in honor of Professor John A. Ferguson, or the “shack,” due to its construction of hemlock timber rather than brick.

Hemlock Hall was torn down in 1940, and the forestry program (officially renamed the School of Forest Resources in 1954) moved into the then brand-new Ferguson Building, again so named after Professor Ferguson, and pictured on the right.

The School’s administrative offices and many faculty and staff offices remained in Ferguson Building until earlier this year, but the entire School of Forest Resources could not be accommodated in that structure. In 1966, the Forest Resources Laboratory was completed for the Wood Products program and in 1991, the Pennsylvania Fish and Wildlife Cooperative Unit moved out of Ferguson Building to Merkle Laboratory. By the late 1990s, faculty and students associated with the School were also located in Wartik Laboratory and the Heinz-Hamer Center in downtown State College.

Pictured in the center is the Forest Resources Building, the School’s home since 2006.