My research interests include studying mechanisms that control organic matter decomposition and the biology involved in C and N nutrient cycling in sustainable agricultural systems. My PhD research funded by USDA-NIFA included interpreting keystone microbial community members and biogeochemical processes involved in N cycling, soil health, and global climate change in perennial
and annual agroecosystems with stable isotope analysis, non-linear models and molecular tools like qPCR, reverse transcriptase (RT)-PCR. Currently I am working as a postdoctoral scholar in Bruns Soil Microbial Ecology Lab in the USDA-NIFA funded project on "Nitrite Ammonification in manures and soils under adaptive Management for Climate change". This project gives an unique opportunity to study the under-explored microbial metabolisms associated with nutrient cycling like nitrite ammonification. The goal is to counteract the loss of nitrous oxide via denitrification by increasing the retention time of N in soil thus providing environmental benefits and ecosystem services.
Bhowmik, A., Fortuna, A.M., Cihacek, L., Bary, A., Carr, P., and Cogger, C.G. 2017. Potential Carbon Sequestration and Nitrogen Cycling in Long-Term Organic Management Systems. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems doi:10.1017/S1742170516000429
Bhowmik, A., Fortuna, A.M., Cihacek, L., Bary, A., and
Cogger, C.G. 2016. Use of Biological Indicators of Soil Health to Estimate Reactive Nitrogen Dynamics in Long-Term Organic Vegetable and Pasture Systems. Soil Biology and Biochemistry
- Distinguished Graduate Student Award in Agriculture, Gamma Sigma Delta, 2016.
- Graduate student poster prize (3rd place) Soil Biology and Biochemistry division, Soil Science Society of America, 2015
- Clarence and Cora Engberg Scholarship Award for deserving graduate student, NDSU, 2014-2015
- Graduate Student Leadership Conference Award, Soil Science Society of America, 2015
- Graduate student poster prize (3rd place) Soil Biology and Biochemistry division, Soil Science Society of America, 2014.
- Roy A. Erickson Scholarship Award in recognition of academic achievement and professional involvement, NDSU, 2013-2014
- N. S. Randhawa Gold Medal for Best Masters Student in Soil Science Dpt., Punjab Agricultural University, India, 2012
- All India Junior Research Fellowship (merit), Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR, Govt. of India), 2010
- University Merit Scholarship throughout the undergraduate program BS (Agriculture), Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya, India, 2006-2010.