Another Blog-tastic Year!
December 23, 2016
- 2016 is wrapping up. So what struck a chord with readers this year?
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry 47
December 21, 2016
- Prepping for trapping season…oh and the holiday.
I knew I forgot something
December 19, 2016
- Reporting is easy to forget.
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XL...46
December 15, 2016
- Everyone gets in on the deer aging fun.
Let them call me a tree hugger
December 12, 2016
- The forest may be thick and green, but sometimes it’s a sign of death
Deer Crew Diaries - XLV
December 8, 2016
- The daily grind of mortality runs and investigations.
The Season is Almost Over
December 6, 2016
- That's right, it's mid-December and that means rifle season - and the breeding season - are just about over. But we still have a movie to share!
Is anybody home?
December 2, 2016
- How cameras can map the residents of Penn’s woods.
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XLIV
November 30, 2016
- Happy “Thursday Before Deer Season”
When do they sleep?
November 24, 2016
- We all need a little shut eye. Do bucks get any during the hunting season?
Deer Crew Diaries – Entry XLIII
November 23, 2016
- False mortalities and new trucks.
November 21, 2016
- Old is a relative term in the deer world. But this definitely qualifies.
Soup to Nuts: A Deer-Forest Study Thanksgiving
November 17, 2016
- Duane Diefenbach and Chris Rosenberry will be giving a presentation on The Deer-Forest Study. They will cover everything from deer travels to vegetation sides dishes to a main course which features the guest of honor!
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XLII
November 16, 2016
- Death, disappearance, and preparation
Don't Leave Home Without It
November 11, 2016
- We all know there's a credit card you're supposed to take every time you walk out the door. What if you never leave home?
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XLI
November 8, 2016
- It's deer (and elk) season!
Velvet Smoking Antlers
November 7, 2016
- Velvet will make you stand out in a crowd!
Red Fish, Blue Fish
November 4, 2016
- There are many ways in which to tell fish apart…according to Dr. Seuss. Turns out we can do the same.
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XXXX
November 2, 2016
- The first signs of winter...
Where did he go? And where did he come from?
November 1, 2016
- This buck's rut behavior explains the mysterious appearance of a stranger on your game camera. Or the inexplicable disappearance of the buck you've watched all summer.
October 31, 2016
- Are deer more than...well…deer?
October 28, 2016
- Love is in the air but the music doesn't start at the same time for every buck. Watch this!
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XXXIX
October 26, 2016
- Behold the triumphant return of Roof Rack and Skirtle the Turtle
Fashion Faux Pas
October 24, 2016
- Wearing white after Labor Day maybe an archaic rule from a century ago, but tell that to Mother Nature.
Exploding Head Syndrome
October 21, 2016
- ‘Tis the season for brains and gore.
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XXXVIII
October 19, 2016
- “Uneventful” and “Slow”
October 17, 2016
- It was hot. It was dry. Bucks didn’t seem to mind. But what about the ladies?
The Happy Meal
October 13, 2016
- McDonald’s may have given it a name in 1979 but an American food icon packaged in a fun and portable container has been around for much longer.
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XXXVII
October 12, 2016
- A quiet week for our crews.
The White Horse
October 6, 2016
- Is chronic wasting disease the white horse to the white-tailed deer?
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XXXVI
October 4, 2016
- Birds and bats and deer...oh my!
September 30, 2016
- Everybody is back to school. So how many of our fawns were present at roll call?
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XXXV
September 28, 2016
- Another one lost at the hands of thieves.
September 26, 2016
- Summer has officially ended and it was a hot one.
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XXXIV
September 20, 2016
- The crew leaders spent some time with PA’s “other” cervid. I hope the deer don’t find out.
Can you hear the screams?
September 19, 2016
- Listen carefully.
Curious about the opposite sex?
September 16, 2016
- Bucks and their shameless advertising (i.e. antlers) get the lion’s share of the attention. What about those lovely ladies?
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XXXIII
September 14, 2016
- Roof Rack and Squirtle were both under the weather this week. Thankfully, they can get the necessary TLC they need this time of year.
Let's Play a Game
September 12, 2016
- I’m not here to study white-tailed deer.
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XXXII
September 7, 2016
- A quiet week punctuated by a malicious act.
There's the Rut...
September 6, 2016
- ...and then there is breeding.
Fun Fact Friday
September 2, 2016
- 99.44% Pure doesn’t cut it
Veg Crew Diaries Entry X
August 31, 2016
- We’ve crossed the finish line! The 2016 field season is over for the veg crews.
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XXXI
August 30, 2016
- It’s “back to school” time and crew leaders will be empty-nesters for the next 4 months.
That's a lot of coffee
August 25, 2016
- Cumulative totals are eye opening!
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XXX
August 23, 2016
- Our crew leaders are crooning with ol’ blue eyes about being “All Alone.” It’s just them and the beep of the receiver now.
The Curse of Fence Plot 207
August 22, 2016
- Think repairing fence plots isn’t an adventure. Think again.
Veg Crew Diaries Entry IX
August 19, 2016
- Oh, hey there August… when did you show up?
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XXIX
August 18, 2016
- It’s been hot, hot, hot but the summer season is "cooling" down.
Like mother, like son
August 15, 2016
- It appears that someone was not paying attention during a crucial life lesson.
Veg Crew Diaries Entry VIII
August 10, 2016
- I know it’s the end of July, but why does it have to be so HOT?!
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XXVIII
August 10, 2016
- It's blackberry season. That means it's the time of year for crew members to start heading off in new directions. We wish them well!
Where you @?
August 8, 2016
- We have entered the realm of the bird. Get ready for singing!
Veg Crew Entry VII
August 5, 2016
- Just another week in paradise!
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XXVII
August 3, 2016
- Our diaries aren’t very thrilling this time of year but drama and excitement in the field are overrated. Boring is good.
August 1, 2016
- Not all of us can afford a beach house but we can pretend we do. Deer get it. [Part 3 of 3]
Wanted: Deer Pics
July 29, 2016
- It's that time of year! Hundreds (maybe thousands) of spies enter the woods. See how you might be able to help The Deer-Forest Study. And check out a new video trailer about the fawn research.
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XXVI
July 27, 2016
- It’s the dog day of summer. Status quo for our crews.
Veg Crew Diaries - Entry VI
July 27, 2016
- Two weeks since my last update. We have been busy!
Summer Homes…or Bachelor Pads!
July 25, 2016
- Not to be outdone by the ladies, males also have some summer fun. Check out this bachelor pad! [Part 2 of 3]
The Meaning of Life - Explained!
July 22, 2016
- Don’t get too excited yet. It likely won’t explain your life.
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XXV
July 20, 2016
- Crews may be on a deer catching hiatus but they are still getting their hands on forest critters.
Fawn Wars: The Forest Strikes Back
July 18, 2016
- If fawns could use the force I imagine they’d tell predators, “I am not the fawn you are looking for.”
Summer Homes – Part 1
July 15, 2016
- A lake house, a beach cottage, or a mountain retreat - some of us are lucky enough to spend summer far from the biting winter. Turns out some deer do too!
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XXIV
July 13, 2016
- A late entry to the race makes for an interesting week.
Veg Crew Diaries Entry V
July 12, 2016
- What do you mean it’s July? Where has the time gone?!
A Note from the Field
July 8, 2016
- One of the very best things about working in the field is all the “extra” stuff.
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XXIII
July 7, 2016
- A lull in the deer "action" for our crews.
July 5, 2016
- We hope you had fun with the quiz last week. Here are our answers.
Veg Crew Diaries Entry IV
July 5, 2016
- A week without rain?! We didn’t think it would happen, but it did! Plus we found dying caterpillars and seedlings growing 5 feet off the ground.
Malice in Wonderland
July 1, 2016
- Parasites, blood, bite marks- down the rabbit hole we go!
Veg Crew Diaries Entry III
June 29, 2016
- We have added a weekly dining feature to the Veg Crew Diaries - the "Deer Plate Special"
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XXII
June 29, 2016
- One last capture and some brownies. Not a bad way to wrap up fawn capture.
Female Dispersal: Is it a matter of asking directions?
June 27, 2016
- We recently published another paper on female dispersal in deer. Here are the highlights.
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XXI
June 23, 2016
- And that’s a wrap! Short and intense – fawn capture draws to a close.
Veg Crew Diaries Entry II
June 21, 2016
- This week was a vegetation survey marathon (and sprint!). And we found an amazing American chestnut tree - alive!
June 20, 2016
- Peeling one can make you cry but reading one should make you laugh.
Veg Crew Diaries Entry I
June 18, 2016
- The first full week of data collection!
#1 Predator Discovered!
June 17, 2016
- DNA samples are back and it’s going to rock the deer world.
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XX
June 15, 2016
- Our crews had a very vanilla week.
Meet the Veg Crew!
June 15, 2016
- That’s right, all the green stuff from the smallest seedling to the tallest tree—we catalog them all.
June 13, 2016
- Believe it or not, fawns come in flavors.
Twice the Fun in the Sun
June 10, 2016
- What could be better than spending a sunny Friday morning out in the woods finding a baby deer? Finding two of course!
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XIX
June 8, 2016
- Our crews are in high gear.
June 5, 2016
- What is “LGS” and Why Should we Care?
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XVIII
June 2, 2016
- Finding fawns is more than a full time job.
Quality or a Pile of Rocks
June 1, 2016
- The forests are turning green again. Is it all the same to deer?
A Day to Remember
May 29, 2016
- What are you remembering this weekend?
Tomorrow’s Trees Today
May 26, 2016
- Dwight Yoakam brought us Tomorrow’s Sounds Today 16 years ago. Penn’s woods have been bringing us Tomorrow’s Trees Today for centuries.
Deer Crew Diaries – Entry XVII
May 24, 2016
- It has begun...
Down in the Dirt!
May 22, 2016
- Deer wrestling is only one aspect of the Deer-Forest Study. We play in the dirt too!
Don't Call Him George
May 19, 2016
- You might want to hug him and pet him and squeeze him, but please don’t.
Deer Crew Diaries – Entry XVI
May 17, 2016
- New blood has arrived! Let the games begin.
Can we go home again?
May 16, 2016
- Thomas Wolfe says no but Bon Jovi says yes. Who is right?
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XV
May 12, 2016
- Let the new season begin!
The Spice of Life
May 10, 2016
- What is the ideal habitat type for deer?
Fun Fact Friday
May 6, 2016
- Spit Happens
Deer Crew Diaries - Entry XIV
May 4, 2016
- Transitioning from one season to the next.
May 2, 2016
- Food equals fuel. How much is really needed?
Fun Fact Friday
April 28, 2016
- Never lose a race to an antelope.