Ed Frayer, 1961 – 5009 Narbor Heights, Lady Lake, FL 32159; “(Dec. 2009) Mei and I had a full year. Mei continues to work full-time for the Florida Dept. Agr. in Gainesville. I’ve been teaching algebra and statistics at two colleges in Ocala, as well as a course on Florida seashells in an adult education program. We bought a condo in Gainesville (in addition to our house in Lady Lake) so that Mei doesn’t have to drive 160 miles every weekday.”

Ed gathered news from his classmates in Dec. 2009 for the anticipated winter 2010 newsletter (that was not published).

Carl (Mac) McIntire wrote: ”Eleanor and I are busy sports fans. The nine grandchildren keep the old car running up and down the East Coast. Boy, do I love I-95. A day at NASCAR is a trip on 95. This Saturday the oldest G-Son plays at Ravens Stadium for the Maryland 3A football championship. We are truly blessed.”

Ron Shields wrote: “Another interesting, challenging year. Addie was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, blood plasma cancer last spring. After an aggressive treatment with some newer chemo, the doctor believes that the cancer is in remission. Treatment continues and we are so thankful for the Love of God, our friends and family. Our son was chosen to attend Army War College and was also promoted to J-3 in-charge of operations for the Idaho National Guard. Our daughter continues in her job as the human relations administrator for MT State Legislative Services. We have fun with our grandkids that are here in Helena. I continue to work with the U.S. Geological Survey as a ‘Volunteer for Science’ and have a small consulting business doing hydrologic studies, mostly with Trout Unlimited on their ‘instreamflow’ reservations and proposed leases for instreamflow. Fishing has been ‘good’ this year. Also had some conversations with John Boyer and Chris Rea. Chris and I shared our photos of our trip to Oregon to work for USFS in 1958 . . . those were the DAYS.”

Joe Sucha wrote, “Sandy and I spend a large part of our time going to our grandchildren’s soccer, field hockey, swimming, gymnastics, football and wrestling games and meets. The grandson is on the Olympic Development soccer team here in Virginia which means traveling to several states. Not sure we'll be able to keep up with them once they get in high school! We just returned from a cruise to the Panama Canal. Almost made national news when our ship hit the side of the locks and blocked passage for over an hour. Divers were sent down to check out both the ship and the locks."

Walt Schwenger wrote, “Don't have 'news' any more. Everything is 'olds' (no vehicular implications). Just keep on trying to keep up with Boy Scouts, Lions, Alpha Phi Omega, Mentors for Berks Youth, Project Vote Smart, and Appalachian Trail maintenance. Resigned from SCORE counseling this week.”    

Jim Bull wrote, “It sure went fast but it's been a good year for us. Polly and I celebrated our 50th anniversary in February. In May, Polly managed to win about $450 at the woman's national bowling tournament in Reno. I caught a 163 lb. halibut when we visited our son and grand daughter on Prince of Wales Island in early July. A long-needed pruning and thinning of 4-1/2 acres of Douglas-fir/Ponderosa Pine got me in the best physical shape in years. We got 15 cords of firewood out of the effort so our heating is set for at least two winters, perhaps three. Tentatively I'll be back East next summer doing some genealogical research and attending a family reunion. I'll probably stop in to see the new forestry building at PSU so I can say I've been there.”

Werner Bruckner wrote, “We are busy with Habitat for Humanity activities in the Medford, Oregon, area. Our volunteers finished another two houses this year. This makes 14 houses that we’ve helped construct since 2003. In October Jackie and I with 7 other folks from around the country went to El Salvador to help build a Habitat for Humanity house for a needy family. 

Bob Stroh wrote, “Finally, I will  be retiring from the University of Florida. December 31 will be my last day. Kelly and I will be staying in Gainesville. I would enjoy going to work for Home Depot or Lowes . . .maybe I should just sit back and relax.”

Chris Rea wrote, “I had a chance to talk with Ron Shields for the first time in almost 50 years. A friend was trying to contact him and called to see if I had his contact info.  I did not, but my wife Googled his name (Ron Shields, Penn State) and everything was there, including a picture. Attending all the GA Tech basketball games and taking care of ‘the farm.’”

John Boyer wrote, “Since I haven’t shared any news with the Class of ’61 since we graduated, I’ll give you a summary of what I’ve been up to in the last nearly 50 (can you believe it) years. I worked for the Housing Authority of the City of Pittsburgh in grounds maintenance and contract oversight pending my orders to active military duty. I remember attending Ron and Addie Shields’ wedding in Indiana PA in the summer of ’61. I was married in February ’62 and entered the Army at Fort Knox KY. Basic Army Officers Course; then off to Fort Hood TX as a tank platoon leader; then to Fort Wolters, TX and Fort Sill OK to complete helicopter flight school. I was ‘lucky’ enough to be one of two graduates of my flight class to receive orders to Vietnam. In February ’63 my first daughter Meg was born and in March I went to Vietnam to fly gunships in the Army’s first armed helicopter unit. I returned unscathed and my second daughter Beth arrived. I was assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division in ’64 where I flew in Air Assault exercises preparing the 1st Cavalry Division Airmobile to deploy to Vietnam. My third daughter Amy was born in March ’65. Since the 82nd didn’t care much for ‘leg’ officers, I went to airborne training and learned how to jump out of perfectly good airplanes. My military obligation complete, I started a job with Atlantic Richfield Oil company as a marketing representative based in State College. In a ‘moth to the flame’ move I decided to apply for a regular Army commission (as opposed to reserve officer) and make the Army my career. I was assigned as a helicopter flight instructor at Fort Wolters TX and in ’67 was back in Vietnam with the 1st CAV as commander of a Brigade flight platoon and on the ground as the Brigade S-3 Air. It was a different war in ’67-’68 (TET Offensive Jan. Feb. ’68 ). I was awarded the Purple Heart, the Silver Star, the Distinguished Flying Cross wOLC, the Bronze Star, the Air Medal w15OLC, the Army commendation Medal W”V” device, the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry W palm, and the Combat Infantry Badge. In ’68 I attended the Infantry Officers Advanced Course at Fort Benning GA where my first son Jack was born in Dec. ’68. In ’69 I became a company commander and battalion S-3 in the 82nd Airborne division at Fort Bragg NC. In 1970, after much reflection on Vietnam and the prospect of returning for a third combat tour of duty, I left the military. In my first and only job related to my forest management schooling, I became a Park Superintendent at Canoe Creek State Park near Altoona PA only to find that after my military experiences, the job seemed a little too ‘laid back.’ I tried the life insurance industry for awhile before becoming borough manager of Mount Union PA in ’72 after the Agnes flood. I remember watching the TV to see Wendell Alcorn return from a North Vietnamese prison and thinking how happy I was for him and his family. In ’78 I took a job with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Community Affairs (renamed Community and Economic Development in ’95 ) in areas of local government, housing and community development. In 1981 I was divorced and remarried in 1985. My wife Diana and I have one son, Aaron, who is a junior at the University of Pittsburgh with hopes of becoming a medical doctor. I retired from the Commonwealth in 2003 after 25 years service. During the ‘90s I remember having lunch with Walt Peechatka when we both worked for the Commonwealth. I keep busy looking after the needs of my son the college student, and enjoying my six grandchildren. I look forward to hearing from the members of the PSU Forestry class of 1961. John F Boyer Jr., 2000 High St., Camp Hill PA 17011; 717-730-0483;”

Hugh Cunningham wrote, “I'm in Naples, FL working on our ‘camp.’ Don't spend much time on a computer down here. Fixing this place up has become a second (or third) career. Bought this old trailer 5 years ago because it is located next door to my sister. Our plans are to stay the winters here but we have only been able to spend a few weeks each year and then called back home to attend to Darlene's aging mother. Unless I'm mistaken I haven't put news in the newsletter ever. I'm still in good health, the same height and weight now as then; married to the same sweet bride of 46 years; retired from federal service in ’95 (US Air Force, USDA Forest Service and USDI Office of Surface Mining). I was a consulting soil scientist for the following 10 years then retired again. Now we do family stuff with children, grandchildren, and old folks. In warm weather Darlene and I  put in a lot of miles biking  the Great Allegheny Passage (bike trail that runs from Pittsburgh to Washington DC through Connellsville). Also kayaking (folbots) on lakes and quiet parts of Youghiogheny River. We also take in several bluegrass festivals each year. Our home is in Fayette County near Connellsville PA.” 

Ron Glass wrote, “Ivy and I  have had a good year. I rowed all season in our quad team. It's over for the season—water too cold for us old guys. We will row indoors this winter with real water in tanks. Spend time in the gym and on my bicycle with friends in the winter when not rowing. I lead a College and Career Bible study every Monday night here in our home. Attend a men's Bible study every Thursday morning. Ivy is the mother-confessor for a whole group of people. She has a real heart for people's problems. The phone burns off the hook some days. We visit PSU about once a month. We have a small condo there. Old friends from grade school, high school, and college still live there or have moved back, so we get to visit often. I correspond with Dinus and Shields several times a week about political issues. We are conservative wonks.”

Doc Dinus wrote, “Health = stable. Spent most of October in the Balkans. River cruise up the Danube from the Black Sea to Budapest. Beautiful countryside all the way. Met lots of interesting people. Very political. Most still admire US, but some are doubtful about current administration. Wonder why we seek to become more like Europe when they want to become more like the US once WAS! Young people, as usual I guess, are especially vocal. Devoted many mornings and evenings discussing what to do. Teacher friend's wife delivered a baby girl, so I am back in school covering 2 classes for him.  Students/school love it, but I am not sure how to feel about it as various and sundry legislative and union rules prevent me from being the sole and final voice. Nevertheless, duty calls and I am educating all 55 of them!”

Bob Davey wrote, “I still hunt the big woods and in Clinton County that means side hills and some steep slopes. It's a great aerobic workout and the forest is why we became foresters. Our family was home for Thanksgiving and we will spend Christmas Day in New York City where our youngest daughter Molly is a starving opera singer. She has a couple of gigs on Christmas.”

Harry Bucha wrote, “Diana continues to keep the books for Magic Diamond Casino. She also quilts when she can find the time. I still hunt—recently destroyed a deer, the front spoiler, and the driving lights on my Silverado while driving home.”

Bob Hrobak wrote, “The year has gone well enough as we adjust to life without our oldest son. Both Joy and I are in reasonably good health and still manage to play tennis and golf weekly. Although I have not officially admitted to myself, my days of singles play in tennis may be gone. The distribution business I started 10 years ago has done well and I put 30-35 hours a week into it. I hope to slow that down in the near future and will if the sale of a portion of it goes through as planned. After 13 years we are well rooted in Texas and have undertaken the building of a log home on a piece of land in East Texas that sits on a 5-acre wooded point on the best largemouth bass lake in the state. I did not know how popular these things are until getting started, but the cabin construction business seems to be doing well. The land we have also has some sentimental value as it was where Joy grew up and actually gathered up the cows long before they put in the lake 30+ years ago.”

William C. “Bill” Eckert, 1965 – died June 16, 2005. Information provided by Bill’s wife, Dawn Eckert:  “After graduating from Tyrone High School in 1957, Bill joined the Navy serving on the U.S.S. Lookout and the U.S.S. Protector. He became a Navy reservist in 1962 and started college at the University of Montana. He graduated from Penn State in 1965 where he studied wood products and forestry. He was honorably discharged from the Navy in 1968. He started his career with Borden Chemical Company in Bainbridge, New York and Sheboygan, Wisconsin, and transferred to Oregon in 1970. He was also employed by Willamette Industries, Particleboard Division and Georgia Pacific Chemical Company. Bill worked in research and development and sales management over the years. He retired in July 2003.”

Paul J. Walter, 1966 – died September 10, 2009. From obituary in Centre Daily Times: “He earned a B.S. in wood engineering from Penn State and was a commercial industrial building contractor and founder of Ag-Com Builders in Centre Hall. Previously, he worked for Potlach and Borden Chemical, where he developed and patented two wood adhesives.”

Richard Claggett, 1969 – 8 Armaranth Drive, Littleton, CO 80127; “Nov. 2009:  Enjoyed a wonderful deer hunt in the Black Hills of Wyoming with fellow Penn State Tau Phi Deltas and foresters Mike McNamara, Don Young, and Joe Armstrong. We got four deer but the real fun was around the campfire and talking about those good old days! We're all retired now and enjoying life!”

Paul L. Lilja, 1969 – 2514 Dividing Ridge, Coudersport, PA 16915;